Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oreo Cookies


My mom has made these cookies for years and years. I think I'm addicted to them. I blame her. :)

1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a stand mixer mix all ingredients till well combined and a stiff dough forms.
3. Roll into 1" balls (I use a cookie scoop, but my mom just eyeballs it with a dinner spoon) and place on a cookie sheet 2" apart.
4. Flatten slightly.
5. Bake for 7 - 9 minutes (I actually bake mine for 10, but that's because my oven is...silly. And by "silly" I mean I-can't-wait-till-I-can-pick-out-my-own-stinkin'-oven! Oops! Forgive the rant. It's the simple things in life, right?)
Don't over bake. The cookies will be soft and look moist when you pull them out.
6. Cool for 5 minutes or until firm, then remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely.

7. Make your Frosting.

4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 Stick (1/4 Cup) Butter or Margarine, softened
1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 - 2.5 Cups Powdered Sugar

8. Beat the Cream Cheese and Butter together until creamy and smooth.
9. Add vanilla and mix thoroughly.
10. Gradually beat in Powdered Sugar until your frosting is a good thick consistency.

11. Make an Oreo by selecting two cookies that are the same size. Spread some frosting on the underside of one cookie and sandwich it with an other.

Voila!

12. Now you must decide: Should you share? Or should you stash them away for a hidden moment during the day? (I say, moderation in all things--do both!)

Source: Modified from Heidi Brady and Angella Workman, Duchesne 2nd Ward's 2nd Cookbook.

~Kara

12 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks so much for providing yet another something that I can get addicted to.

    1/2 cube of butter? I'm finding that butter names mean different things in different parts of the country. What does this mean for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. REAL Butter. Unsalted. I grew up calling Margarine Butter. It's what my parents could afford and what she used. My grandma always used real butter and I always wondered why her food tasted so different (and good!) when it was the same recipe. Now I know the difference and call them accordingly. You can used margarine if you prefer.

    When we got married I soon found out that Dave is a nazi about some things. Waffles, quality clothes (inexpensive included!), camping gear...oh yeah, and BUTTER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't say D is a nazi. Definitely NOT a nazi--not the commanding type. SNOB is more like it. Waffle snob...butter snob. Yeah, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara Lee, by "cube" do you mean "stick" or do you mean like half a pound?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie-I mean "stick" --1/4 Cup. I'll change it in the post to avoid similar questions. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW...I'm definitely a butter snob, myself...AND These look TO-DIE-FOR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great, except for the part about sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am definitely a butter snob!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister recently got educated on the fact that there's salted & unsalted butter. I thought it was hilarious. I'm all about some butter too.

    I don't know that I like you for putting this up though! They look Waaaaaay too yummy. On the other hand, I'd probably win the mom of the year award. But then again I'd tell them they've had enough for the day (which they're pretty good about accepting) & then I'd be sneaking into the pantry to eat one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made this loved it! Next time have to make more they were gone in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you liked them, Hannah. Every time I make them I think, "I have to remember to double it next time," but it's probably a good thing I don't. :)

    Your mom says you're moving to SC soon (or are you already there?). What brings you this way?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had left-over cream cheese frosting in my fridge, but no devil's food cake mix. Sooooo.... I switched it for spice cake!!! Let me tell you, it was delicious! Try these with spice cake mix!!!

    ReplyDelete